For dinner tonight, I wanted something as easy as possible.
All the other responsibilities of working a full time job while raising three kids and being a partner to my husband, our washing machine decided to die. Over the last many months it has been one thing after another. My husband, Daniel, and I are attempting to get rid of debt and live without credit in our life and I’m convinced God is testing us. Each time we save up our emergency fund, something happens that causes us to use it up.
First it was the car. Some kind of issue with spark plugs. Then it was the A/C. Smack dab in the middle of summer. In Florida. Completely dead. Turns out it was just a capacitor issue that could have cost us $5 and the help of my wonderful dad. Instead, it cost us somewhere closer to 60X that…Then it was the dishwasher. Daniel was actually at fault for that one. Something called the floater that tells the dishwasher when to stop filling water was completely ripped off the bottom of the dishwasher…I’m married to the Hulk. That cost us a bit more than the A/C. There’s actually no way to fix that. Just a whole new machine is needed.
Now…it’s the washing machine. HOWEVER! Every time something comes up, it is always when we have come into a little cash in savings – whether it was by our own saving or through a blessing from God. Also, both the dishwasher issue and the washing machine issue occurred around holidays, which are the best times to purchase appliances like that because of the awesome savings. So – in terms of looking at it as a ‘glass half-full’ situation – I really think God is looking out for us while also testing our resolve to do this ‘kick debt’s ass’ thing.
Anywho – back to dinner tonight. We are in the middle of getting all the dirty laundry separated into piles to take to my in-laws in the morning to use their wonderful working machine to wash our filth. I’m exhausted from a LONG day at work and just want food in my babies’ bellies. We’ve got frozen veggie burgers in the freezer and a plethora of sweet potatoes on the bar. We’re doing burgers and fries, baby. Oh, also we have no lettuce, no tomatoes, no pickles, no buns, no toppings of any kind really. Other than cheese. Surprisingly, this meal turned out fantastic.
I added a few avocado slices with a few drops of lime juice, salt, and pepper on top of my burger patty and chowed down. I have to brag on the veggie burgers we bought because of how surprised I was with the taste. If you haven’t given veggie burgers a try yet, do it just for fun one night. You won’t regret it.
But if you do, please write a strongly worded letter to the company who made the nasty patty and not to me.
The kids went crazy over these and my little boy tore them up. And he’s my picky child.
For the Veggie Burgers:
- 2 packages Boca brand veggie burger of choice
- American Cheese slices
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Lime wedge
For the Fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and sliced into wedges
- Spices of your choice (salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika, Everglades Seasoning, etc.)
- Olive oil
For the ‘Sauce’:
- 1/2 cup of mayo
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Place the burger patties on a sheet pan lined with foil and a wire wrack. Prepare a separate sheet pan lined with foil and a wire wrack for the potatoes.
- Toss the potato wedges in a bowl with the olive oil and spices. Space them out on the wire wrack and place both sheet pans in the oven.
- Bake the burgers for 12-14 minutes and remove from the oven. Allow the fries to cook a few minutes longer, for a total of about 20-22 minutes.
- Top the burgers with a slice of cheese as soon as you remove them from the oven, then prepare your avocado.
- If you have never worked with an avocado before, you’ll need to have a sharp knife. Lay the avocado lengthwise on the cutting board and slice halfway through the avocado horizontally while using your palm to rotate the avocado – in this way you will slice the avocado in half around the seed in the middle.
- Pull the halves apart and use your knife to remove the seed by ‘hacking’ into the seed and twisting gently.
- Scoop out the halves using a spoon, doing your best to get all the ‘meat’ of the avocado. Cut slices and lightly squeeze the juice of a lime over them.
- Next put your mayo, mustard, and hot sauce in a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Serve up and Enjoy!